Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Influence

There are many times that I wonder what other people think of me.

You know,

If they think I'm "cool"..

If I'm smart...

Wise...

Hard-working...

Creative...

Dedicated...

The list can go on.

I frequently, sometimes too frequently, find myself asking the question "how am I influencing others around me?"

Today, I had the privilege to find out some answers to that very question.

The 5 CCV interns and I had a very special privilege to attend lunch with Ben Foulke and Frank Chiapperino today at the Cheesecake Factory in honor of it being one of the last times we'll ever all spend the summer together. While there, Frank Chiapperino, our supervisor, coach, mentor-surprised us each with a list of encouraging thoughts and comments from students and volunteers. As we read our lists to each other, it was beautiful to witness the unraveling of each personality-and how all 5 of the personalities clicked together to complete the puzzle we teasingly call "BAAAM."

Through sharing, it was very clear that Adam's strength and fearlessness shine through his passion for ministry, Alex's talent chimes off his guitar, Brendon's big heart melts with compassion, and April's encouragement and enthusiasm spread contagiously. I, to my surprise, collected a variety of comments reflecting my intelligence, leadership, and "well-roundedness."

No longer did I have to wonder; ways in which I influence others were staring right back at me on the paper.

On a positive note, I was very satisfied with what I saw.
Proud, even.

Someone once told me that you'll never realize the full potential to which you can influence an individual.

Someone else helped me realize that within this summer, I've helped connect to 1000+ children and youth.

I wonder of the influence that I've helped impress on each of their hearts.
Have I led them to question who Jesus is more?
Have I encouraged or inspired them in their walk with God?
Do they see me as a role model or a mentor?

As I reflect on my experience this summer, I know I'll hold tight to the simple white sheet of plain computer paper that carries a heartbeat of its own through the love poured out by others' praise. I'll never let that go.

Thank you, so much, if you've been one of those to offer your praise, compliments, or encouragement to me in the past few months. You don't realize just how far your compassion has reached. It's words like those on that white paper that help remind me of my influence on others.

I hope that soon you'll hear a return piece of praise that compliments your personality.
Maybe you too will receive a simple white sheet.
Words like those aren't meant to be silenced.

4 comments:

April Tatta said...

i have gotten to stand by your side A LOT this summer and watch you influence a HUGE variety of people Melissa and its been beautiful. The way you have influenced myself is unforgettable and will be with me for life!

Diane Karchner said...

MJ - I have had the distinct privilege of watching you from afar this summer, and during previous years at CCV as well. Your leadership talents are a gift from God, and never, ever let anyone tell you differently. Particularly hold onto that in the face of experiences you may have which may devalue you as a woman, or devalue the gifts often seen as more masculine - eg, leadership. You are a natural, and when it's natural we often start to second guess - should I, could I, is it OK? Here's a whisper from God in your ear - 'it's OK to be YOU - that's who I made you to be!'

Keep up the great work - both the external that we can rejoice in watching, as well as the internal stuff! It is from there that the woman God created you to be will emerge!

And one more thought - always remember how you felt when you read the piece of white paper, and remember to give that experience to others whenever you can by passing on the good stuff!!

With love, Diane K

Mamaj said...

Melissa, I dont think you really see the big picture of how influential you have been in so many lifes you have touched in your short live life so far...from friends to teachers, to family and college faculty members and college students, not to mention...basically just anyone who stopped for a moment to just chat or share with you...or far that matter, just ony one you chose to just sit and chat with where ever whenever...You have this gift of being able to just REACH people, no matter when, where or whom...and I have watched you grow into that gift from the time you have been a little girl. I am so blessed to see that you have chosen to apply this gift through your walk in your faith in GOD...There is no way I can describe how much of a shining star you are as a follower of your faith...But, have no fear...HE has chosen you...and your purpose is HIS...Be proud of whom you are, in your own "humble" way...because you are HIS tool...and it is meant to be that way

Justin Best said...

MJ,
how's did bringing the word last night go? I hope G-d spoke through you! It's important not to get our identity caught up in what the world conditions us to think you know? I mean we can't even go to the super market without feeling (from a girls perspective, I would imagine) that we need to look like the people on the magazines (and from the guys perspective) that we need to be cut like a diamond. It's not a healthy image. I'm glad it's a topic you chose to address head on. I'm pumped to see what G-d continues to do in your girl! keep chasing!
Best